Monday, January 14, 2013

::Melted Crayons::

I hate to see things go to waste. We spend a lot of money on supplies for the kids at work and when they get mostly used up, sometimes we have to throw them away. Crayons is one of those things that we throw away a lot of. Once they're too small to color with, we just toss em.

I remembered my mom used to do things things with those old broken crayons when we were kids. We melted them to make cards and art or we melted them into molds and made new crayons. So I decided I was going to do that with our old crayons at work so they wouldn't be wasted. 
 I went through our crayon boxes and picked out all the rejects. I peeled all the wrappers off and divided them up by similar colors cause I thought that would make it easier when I was making the crayons. Here's a helpful hint: only use wax based crayons, like crayola. Brands like Roseart aren't wax based and won't melt.
Once they were all peeled I chopped up the crayons into smaller pieces and placed them in a silicon baking pan. I tried to mix all the colors up so that there was a equal amount of bright and dark colors. 
 Next you just pop them in the oven and let the crayons melt, this is what they look like when they come out of the oven. I put them in an oven pre-heated at 500 for about 15 minutes. 
Once the crayons have dried you just pop em out of the pan and they're ready to go! A friend of mine did this for her child care but used a heart shaped pan and those turned out super cute as well. 

Hope you enjoyed this little DIY! Save some crayons and make your own! It's a great project to get your kids involved with too. I had mine help me search for small crayons and take off the wrappers. 
Happy Searching! 
Laters!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment